Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

July 23, 2019, 01:13:33 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BUTTON  (Read 31 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: July 14, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »

Like clockwork my arm reaches for the black power cable relinquishing it from its duties to recharge my overused laptop. Swift rehearsed motions coil the cable and velcro it in place before thrusting it inside a nervous tote to await further instructions. While my hands move of their own accord to pack away the laptop and join its cable companion my eyes hunt the desk top for visual reminders for other travel buddies. The hard-drive and document folder follow and my mind has moved onto other lists, lunch, hair, clothes, what else do I need to do? With a toasted muffin half hanging from my mouth and shoulders laden with bags, I fumble in the wrong pocket for keys. Always putting my keys on the opposite side to my free hand and I perform The Twist to yank them out. My thumbnail digs into the button, disappearing inside the indent it created, an unappealing gash in the soft black rubber. The car remains unmoved by my key fondling and I jab harder turning my nail white with the pressure. The car flashes amber and releases its seal. Having downed my toasted muffin I shove my keys into a buttered mouth and swing the car door open, shuffling my bags into the car one by one, stacking them so my inevitably erratic driving won't dislodge them. I pay my pockets to make sure I have everything and look down to see slippers instead...

It's interesting how some cue words cause my mind to jump across things. This story feels disjointed and is probably something to sit down and rework into a more fluid story. I think it would have benefited from stopping the story and being more descriptive about the feeling of rushing to get in the car and head off to work.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: