Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 22, 2019, 02:52:41 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lemon  (Read 50 times)
marksy

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:40 AM »

Glistening in the smooth hard porcelain fruit bowl, shimmering under a blanket of warm oyster roof lights, two lemons perched against each other, leaning and hugging, atop oranges, apples, bananas. Unusual bitter characters in a home of sweetness. A bouquet of tangy sugar as I cut through a lemon, a fountain spray of acidic juice displaying an unfurling act. Clear droplets firing towards my face, ricocheting into my eye, stinging briefly like a small fire doused by the rapid closure of my eyelid. Licking my rough oily finger, my tongue tightens and my lips purse in reaction to the sour accost, an unavoidable pout, my mouth seems to shrink internally, closing up. My fingers slipping on the knife as it taps down through the fruit rhythmically like a drum, keeping vague rhythm. My left hand rested against the smooth but worn chopping board, years of open siege as knives slice, chop, and attack. Stabbing. The cool mid-winter breeze creeps in through the busted kitchen window frame, tickling my neck, cooling the wet spots on my hand. Moon light creeping from over my shoulder…
BazMac

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 06:03:21 AM »

'a fountain spray of acidic juice displaying an unfurling act'

This gave me such a visual  Grin
marksy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 02:30:55 AM »

Thanks @BazMac! Smiley
Itsjamiejones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 06:22:38 AM »