News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pepper  (Read 1502 times)
Richard Smallfield

richardsmallfield.com

View Profile WWW
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:49:29 PM »

The pepper mill was made of faintly aromatic close-grained cedar. Twisting it, a small amount of pepper was ground, which emptied it of corns.

Claude unscrewed it and to his surprise, found a piece of paper inside. In small lettering was a list of six names. The list of collaborators which Danielle had been going to pass on to him before her arrest, was at last in his hand. He knew all of them and and had suspected four; but was shocked to see two of the names on the list.

Having committed them to memory he burnt the note, before refilling the mill. He ground more pepper on his steak and continued his meal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 12:55:16 AM by Richard Smallfield » Logged

:-)
Maya

I am not a native English speaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:33 AM »

Why does everyone create a new post for the object writing instead of replying on 1 topic so we have a better oversight? Just a suggestion Wink

I am new here, I am not a native English speaker so my vocabulary isn't as rich as yours, but still I want to try to do this object writing in English, because I'm reading Patt Pattison's book 'Writing Better Lyrics'. I always seem to wander off and not stick to the word, but in his book he says I should just 'let that happen'.

My nose itches as I try not to sneeze with the cold pepper holder in my hands. I hate this part. Trying not to shake too hard, but if you do it too soft, nothing gets out. Trying to be patient. Don't shake it too hard. But my hand feels like a difficult machine to operate, it just won't listen. I tell him to do a little more effort, and suddenly my green soup turns black. It's always a battle I tend to lose. No wonder why I'm bad at cooking. I hear the sound of the cracking walls. The wind feels like a monster surrounding my house and trying to get in. But I don't feel scared. I'm in my safe haven, nothing can touch me here. My dog is coming closer and ensconces himself against my chest. I am the protector. I will protect him against the evil spirits and the dark shadows at night. Even our black couch sometimes feels like a threat to him. My sweet old grumpy dog. The smell of the apple flavoured candle fills my nose. The flame looks so peaceful. Even though it can easily be beaten by the wind, it doesn't feel threatened at all. The candle has a hypnotizing effect on me. My heartbeat becomes as peaceful as the flame as I'm looking at it. I must not forget my boiling soup.

Eventually my brain took me to a candle, I guess it didn't find the pepper interesting enough, lol. This is the reason why I feel like I'm bad at this stuff
Adisciple

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »

Maya, I liked your post, "Even our black couch sometimes feels like a threat to him." lol. Seems to me like you're doing it the right way. I always wander.
Maya

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:22:07 AM »

Thanks! But when I read other people's poetic use of words and how well they write down these sense-bound sentences... I feel like I'm just writing too much about what's happening or what I am thinking.
I like the story of Richard, btw. It made me want to read on, please finish the story Richard! Lol
Richard Smallfield

richardsmallfield.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »

Hi Maya,
Thanks for your positive feedback. I always post as a new topic because that's what everyone else does, so I've assumed that that is what we're meant to do. Maybe everyone else is doing it for the same reason?

I'm not sure my posts are stricly object writing - because I always turn the post into a story rather than a description. I've just found, since doing this exercise, that making the word into a story comes more naturally to me and it seems to be what I'm best at - though I never thought I'd be any good at stories. Maybe I was wrong. I'd love to turn a lot of my posts into short stories or song lyrics.

I liked your post too, and will have to reread it. I feel that you're doing this properly and I'm not!

Thanks,
Richard
www.richardsmallfield.com
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:13:46 AM by Richard Smallfield » Logged

Paul
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 05:47:36 PM »

I think the main reason for doing individual posts is that it is easier to give one to one feedback. Imagine you want to make a comment on Richard's writing but it was ten comments away? The conversation would be disjointed.

There is no reason that it could not be done as suggested, but, in my opinion it would get messy.

Vis
Paul
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »

and p.s. with Object writing.... anything goes, at least your are doing something creative that hopefully feeds back into your creative writing in some way.  You can choose to follow the sense bound route with any form be it story or dot points. The crucial thing is to get your internal writer woken up each day to be more tuned in to the world around you. I am just back after a two year break and loving it again.

Vis
Maya

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 02:52:09 AM »

You're right Paul, to give feedback it's easier to start separate topics indeed. I am enjoying it myself as well, but I am a perfectionist, so when I read the examples in the book of Patt Pattison (which are very poetic and detailled in describing the senses), I feel like I am not doing it right. But I do like to let my thoughts wander around in my memory and see where it gets me in those 10 minutes. Do you guys also time your object writing?
Paul
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »

I certainly time mine for ten minutes and try to do as little 'fixing' at the end as possible. One thing Pat suggest is that you don't have to stay 'on topic' you might start with Bananas but could end up with a boat ride to Bejing- as long as you are doing it in a sense bound way. You might also look up Andrea Stolpe's 'destination writing'. This is similar to object writing, but from memory stays more 'on topic' http://andreastolpe.berkleemusicblogs.com/2007/11/23/becoming-a-fearless-lyric-writer/

Vis
Richard Smallfield

richardsmallfield.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »

It's great to hear everyone's thoughts. This is such a rewarding exercise. Sadly, I'm not quite managing it every single day. But it has made me so much more aware of what I might be capable of.

Richard
www.richardsmallfield.com

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: