News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Queen  (Read 37 times)
dccavi

View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 02:15:42 PM »

Queen of the books, never had the time for a family, but it never bothered her. Blue paint fresh and glossy over tastefully decorated bookshelves. The carpet was like a putting green, but has since been torn out, revealing the cracking concrete below. Bubbling water cooler, a stack of plastic cups and a pot of coffee. University-issued calendar on the wall, three months behind due to neglect- it's just another decoration. Fliers thick on the community bulletin board. Weekly uke jam at the coffeehouse. Vibrant, caffeinated aroma hanging in the air, combining with anxiety to create energy and awareness on a Saturday morning. The sky is gray, cloth leaves litter the sidewalk. A stray raindrop falls here and there, only conspicuous after landing in a puddle left by last night's lullaby of a storm. It was drafty in the house and I slept completely under the covers, phone at my side counting down the minutes until it would sing me awake if the birds didn't get to me first. The window is covered with a yellow blanket that creates a haunting atmosphere when the sun breaks through. Early in the morning everything is gray and you can't see color. Thick, hot oatmeal is the only thing in the pantry, as it's been forgotten about. Car doors slam after long nights at the bars. The stream from the shower feels good on my aching ears
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: