Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 20, 2018, 01:51:54 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donut  (Read 67 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »

I carry my head like a fish bowl, with water swishing wildly over the edges and a confused little bobbly-eyed goldfish desperately swimming with the goal of staying inside its safety boundaries. I suppose I drank a little too much last night. Itís hard to remember everything Iím going to need on my morning donut run: coat, gloves, hat, scarf. Iím opening the door when I realize Iím not wearing any shoes. Impatient, yes I am, but you would be too if youíd ever had Paulaís Donuts. I get into the car (with shoes on, laces tied and everything) and have to remember to check mirrors, peek back to make sure no oneís coming. And Iím still a little paranoid Iím just going to back right into a speeding truck or a little child or a cat. But I donít. Itís safe. I drive forth through the snow towards my destination.
   You know youíre close when it starts looking more like the suburbs than the city. The industrial decay slowly transforms into less noticeable decay. There are fast food restaurants and people who look like they showered first thing. There is a rather large store that specializes in selling nuts. I giggle a little every time I pass it.
   The donut shop is at the end of a very long strip mall. It is a relatively new sister store to a popular joint on the other side of the city. Nothing else in the strip mall looks remotely new or updated since 1995, except for a trendy little wine and art storefront. Even at this early hour, I start to think about the taste of wine and gag just a little. I still wouldnít mind a glass to go with my donuts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: