Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 20, 2018, 01:51:56 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Donut  (Read 67 times)
RfK

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:54:44 PM »

There was an old shop on the street I'd walked by many times in my youth. Same cracked sidewalk leading up to the worn step leading to the front door, stained grey, gritty and filled with the dust and tracks of many souls. The smell is still there of dirt. The wind carries a trace of mowed grass down the street. I looked up through the glass door but couldn't see much with the sun behind me reflecting my own image back. Grabbing the handle I moved inside, bell dinging to announce to anyone who cares that someone has entered this hallowed domain.  The atmosphere is the same. I stand there for a second, close my eyes and inhale it.  I hear the rustle of other peoples clothing as they shuffle, a child asking her mother a silent question that comes like a whisper, the ching of the old cash machine but most overwhelming is the smell of the donut. First the sweet doughy smell that gets your mouth watering, then the anticipation of the softness in your hands and finally the mouth watering body enveloping sensation of that first sweet bite. I've blocked the door, people are getting annoyed, I open my eyes and walk to the counter to order my dream.

RfK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: