Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

March 24, 2019, 03:17:51 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Life Jacket  (Read 161 times)
RfK

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2018, 04:04:38 PM »

You go through life meeting and discarding people like gum wrappers, not in a mean way, just in a moving on way and always thinking there'll be someone else to fill any void. Sometimes though you come across a person who, maybe without you knowing or comprehending is your life jacket. They are kind of always kind of just there keeping your head above water, maybe making your head tilt back a bit so you look up and see hope instead of looking down and drowning. Everyone has this person in their life, guaranteed at some point.  Maybe some still do and maybe for others that person wasn't the life jacket you wanted or was just a plain bad one so you picked someone else. Maybe you only had that life jacket  for a minute but it was long enough to make a difference.  For me, my life jacket was my mom. She's gone now. No life jacket, no matter how hard I tried to be one for her, could keep her afloat when cancer came swimming. She was a bright yellow life jacket. Sturdy, strong material wrapped around me and clasping me in tight. Not smothering, but supporting and keeping me buoyant. Soft to the touch and fresh to smell, like water and earth and life...

RfK
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: