Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

September 20, 2018, 09:00:49 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mask  (Read 10 times)
FunkySea

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2018, 06:32:11 AM »

I sit with my parents in Copenhagenís Tivoli gardens. The green metal chairs scratch and scruff against the neatly raked gravel. Itís the middle of the afternoon and the childrenís show is about to begin. Around us, kids sit expectantly with their parents. A few kids are lingering in the edge of the seating area, almost too old for this but with a yearning for the innocence about to elude them, as they watch, look away, look down. But I am transfixed. Over the stage a coat of arms of sorts: two masks, one black and one white. The white one grinning; the black one with a downward pointing mouth, in despair. The sad mask isnít that interesting, neither frightening nor really sad, it seems insincere in a way. The white one does grin but itís far more complex in its expression. The smile seems sometimes mocking. Itís as if it carries an awareness of the cousin next to it: yes you may be happy but remember; youíll je sad too and what then? Sometimes I see pain behind the smile as if to say my happiness and glee are just a front. Even at my happiest I remember the pain, so watch out. But maybe even behind this, thereís a third message: happy, sad, lonesome, extatic, who cares: just be yourself and indeed be happy, because what does it all matter? Pain, and happiness are just fleeting like clouds, like one drop from the faucet then another. They each hit the sink, but what do you make of it? I lie awake listening to the dripping. It makes me comfortable. Each drop millions of molecules banded together for this next journey. Happy sad happy sad. Socrates giving a lesson in even temper but swaying always to joy. Remember young
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: