Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 16, 2018, 04:17:43 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Direction  (Read 46 times)
FunkySea

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2018, 05:51:00 AM »

As a small boy, my family went each weekend, or so it seemed, to our vacation home one hour north of Copenhagen. Located in the woods of Zeeland, the area had no blacktop in the 70s sporting instead dirt or gravel paths. We would go for long walks, hunting mushrooms in the season. Then, one morning, I woke up before everybody else at six AM and decided I would walk the same route we had taken the day before and perhaps surprise everybody with fresh mushrooms! But everything looked different without my family and in the dim morning light. The woods seemed eerie and full of strange sounds. At one point I stood at a crossroads looking for the right direction. All three identical gravel roads seemed to stretch endlessly into the nondescript forest. All were straight, an anomaly in the forest where roads were normally crooked and turned like huge trolls in a restless sleep. I shifted in my small rubber boots, dark blue I think, and, with
my empty mushroom basket in hand, started down one of the paths. Thinking back, one direction was the right one whereas in life when we refer to direction, itís either you have it or you donít, as in do you have two legs or just one, or, assuming one has some sort of goal in mind, we pretend we have some idea of what the direction is, or we should have. We complain that the answer isnít given to us in some form, forgetting every success story had ludicrous happenstances, unlikely leg ups from unpredictable quarters....like hands reaching into the cold would-be grave and pulling us out. My little blue rubber boots wouldíve taken me home no matt
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: