Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

July 23, 2018, 08:33:46 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans  (Read 32 times)
peekschris

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2018, 12:12:48 PM »

Itís rectangular itís yellow with red lettering. Itís a sign that reads ďADULT VIDEOĒ and it tells me Iím there. Itís louder than a second line parade and smellier than stale vomit. Itís the road sign that tells me Iím in one of the greatest and worst cities in America. I mustíve have been 18 and it must have been the middle of the year-early June. I had heard stories, about friends going and getting drunk in bars because they didnít ID anyone. But it didnít matter. We were all recently graduated, young and better looking than we realized and we all had handfuls of crisp graduation dollars. It was the first time I had ever been away from home. Old enough to go out and party like an adult. I realized much later that adults canít party that way.  We were babies.  We checked into our hotel room. Cheap, old, another stale smelling box with the charm of any 150-year-old French building. This is a big city.  Big as in ďcondensedĒ.  Tall buildings everywhere, people people people.  Moving, shaking, touring.  So many friends there. It was like a high school reunion only a week after high school.  Walking down Bourbon St. weíd get a daiquiri with an extra shot of 151 ďJet FuelĒ. Such fun names. Everything colorful, everything fruity.  Hurricanes, fruit punch, Hand grenades. so much color and fruitiness you donít taste or even smell the alcohol.  So you donít realize how drunk youíre getting.  The shy me turned into the outgoing me.  Desperately seeking SusanÖor anyone who would talk to me.  My insides buzzing, I walked down that nasty carnival street like I owned it.  It almost sounds like a trumpet blast the second you hit bourbon street.  The girls are all dressed so pretty.  The bartenders love you and seduce you.  Leather, lace, dresses, heels, clink clink drink drink.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: