Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 16, 2018, 03:27:14 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Transport  (Read 48 times)
FunkySea

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2018, 07:08:30 AM »

One of my favorite transportation memories was as a ten year old when the family took the night train from Copenhagen to Berlin. We boarded the train at 5 PM and left the station as the always low Danish sun glided toward the horizon, electrifying the rails with golden current against the brown rocks on the ground. The ka-Chung ka-Chung of the rail seams mirrored my quickening heartbeat. Something about trains. The intercity train had a six person compartment which turned into a sleeper. As the train gets underway, the soft commotion of people stowing luggage, conferring with the crew, conversations in the corridor among smoking friends lends a summer camp like atmosphere to the experience. I always roam the train from front to back whenever we travel in them. Something about the sucking sound of the door between the wagons, then the sudden swell of sound as Iím walking practically outside, a sense of danger, the massive steel parts grinding against each other. An impersonal, indifferent potential for violence and death but also the smug feeling of cheating death. Yes those wheels would crush me in a second but they could never get to me as here I  am on this little platform. Each wagon is like a little world in itself I always feel like an intruder as I enter the quiet little cosmos that is a wagonís occupants. Quiet that is, until the sucking sound of my opening the door is followed by the sonic boom of the inter wagon rumble. Everybody looks up but they have to acknowledge my right to roam between the cars. Thereís no rule against it. The only pleasure greater than exploring trains
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: