Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 15, 2018, 05:02:01 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Horsepower  (Read 61 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: September 11, 2018, 09:32:34 PM »

On evenings when the ground hadn’t quite thawed out completely, we drove out on one of the long roads that simply went “out of town.” Like somebody pointed and said, “The road will go that way, all the way, just get it out of here.” We drove our mom’s little red Subaru Impreza past the corn and the vineyards, past the ponds and groves, past the farmhouses and decaying silos, to the railroad tracks. Here was our ramp, our homage to our mountain biking days, when we would jump over dirt mounds with a half a second of air time. Now we put the pedal to the floor in a swirl of acceleration. Faster and faster we went, wind whipping through the windows, engine sounds roaring in all directions at once. We had at least one horsepower on our side.
   The tires never once sprung a leak when we did this. Living dangerously used to be so taken for granted. We’d bounce a little and whoop and holler. Then we would come to a standstill. The air was cool, the clouds hung in the air like parasites that haven’t figured out that they are dead yet. The smell of dirt and rubber held thickly to the windows. I felt awake, sometimes, and I thought I could make this moment last forever. It was one of those powers I’m still convinced I have, but haven’t mastered, like invisibility or flight. One of these days, you will see me (or not) flying over the city in a bubble of time and space.
FunkySea

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 12:57:23 AM »

Nice!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: