Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

September 24, 2018, 05:38:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashes  (Read 12 times)
FunkySea

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2018, 12:49:02 AM »

As a kid I loved our fireplace in our vacation home in the woods. When my parents had visitors with no kids tagging along I’d just sit in front of the fireplace with the poker playing around with the glowing embers and burning wood. The fireplace was big and black made of cast iron. It was nice and smooth to look at but your hands would be dirty if you touched it and it was so black it was like a hole in the decor of the room. A big handle underneath opened and closed the oven with a rolling crunching sound and two small vents could be pushed open and closed by pushing a little tap with a finger. They were heavy for what they were. Then in the morning there would be a small mountain of ashes and sometimes it would be the perfect shape of a piece of wood like those poor people in Pompeii. The city slowly erupting in alarm and terror as the citizens spot the lava flowing down the side of the mountain. Or was it more like an explosion? I guess maybe it was. Maybe both. The last moment of that young boy’s life. Maybe he was trapped in a room and saw the searing lava coming towards him and his eyes go wide in the involuntary way it would in that situation. The way my eyes have probably never gone wide. The feeling of the face contorted in horror and disbelief. Like a Hitchcock movie when you discover you’ve harbored a killer all along. Nestor??!? So it was YOU?Huh And the tall Nestor, the always creepy looking but seemingly harmless butler or whatever confesses in a chilling voice that makes me turn away as I sit alone watching in the basement black and white tv. Or dad is sitting next to me looking maybe a little bored or jaded and I can’t believe I get so scared and he does t and the tv is like a tube of gold. Amazing spewer of photons and forbidden entertainment. We had two chairs down there I guess we never
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: