Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

December 13, 2018, 04:58:53 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fire  (Read 92 times)
FunkySea

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:39:52 PM »

I wake up early. Itís winter in Denmark 1978 and itís cold. The ground is covered in snow. Iím at Ved Diget 23, our summer home in northern Zeeland. The house is quiet. My dad and brother have been up all night playing chess. Mom just likes to sleep in I guess. Itís 7 am and I jump out of bed but on a T-shirt and jogging pants and tiptoe past my brotherís bedroom through the kitchen and into the living room where the fireplace is. I start a fire. The air is damp and cold itís a wooden house and soon the fire burns off the humidity and the walls start creaking and now the fire is really taking hold. Weíve felled these trees ourselves chopped the firewood dried it and itís good stuff! I sit down and watch the flames transform the wood bit by bit. Iím fascinated by the wood seemingly intact as itís being licked by the flames. Then it starts smoking and POOF! It erupts into flame and soon after itís black. My 8 year old brain starts to get bored and wants some more action so I look around the room for something more interesting to burn. Something created with skill and precision, that I can transform into smoldering ashes. I find a box of wooden letters about 4 inches tall. About 20 or so. Theyíre even in a wooden box. I start with the S. I place it carefully in the open fireplace in the embers. I want to make the transformation slow. The embers silently roast the wood and the smoke starts to emerge. Quickly the little S is engulfed in flame and begins to glow red. I repeat the process with all the remaining letters and then the wooden box. Probably a cigar box. Itís taken me about an hour and a half. The synthetic carpet is warm the whole room is warm and I watch the yellow glow of
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: