Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 15, 2018, 12:01:42 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Umbrella  (Read 36 times)
daflem

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2018, 07:09:11 PM »

I walk down the crickety stairs, grasp the handle and push down, a walking stick to help me down the stairs. These days I donít spend much time doing much of anything. The door opens, and a draft pours in, a wave of the hand of the passerby and a wave of wind that slaps me in the face, reminding me of where and who I am. A car is unloading in the front and I walk down the street, sliding my hand down the shaft of the umbrella, opening up to deflect the drops of rain. I inhale, a fresh scent vastly different from the smoke and secondhand smoke I breathe in all day. I walk the route, the heels of my boots clicking against the concrete, a layered foundation not present years ago. Carefully avoiding the puddles, I taste the rain, sticking my tongue out as far as I can. I turn the corner - the patch of grass is still there. The same patch on which we spread out a picnic blanket and lie down, soaking in the sunshine and reading our favorite couplets. That was then. This is now. And you are not here. I put my umbrella down and let the rain wash me away.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: