Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

December 15, 2018, 07:40:45 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Baseball Hat  (Read 61 times)
daflem

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »

Exhilaration pulled the covers off me that morning. Putting on my pants two legs at a time, I sprang to the kitchen, trying to keep my cool but having a hard time keeping my excitement bottled up. I ate my eggs, slightly greasy, and two chicken apple sausages, in a superstitious fashion that I believed would allow me to hit the ball farther. I spent 20 minutes getting ready that day, my first baseball game. Made sure my stirrups lined up appropriately, putting my pants on, carefully tucking in my shirt. I then grab the hat. I grab the bill, curve the sides of the hat. I can smell the sweat and see the colored stain inside the hat - the salt of my sweat and blood. Practice after practice of wearing my body down in an attempt to do everything a little better. I close my eyes, visualizing standing in the batter’s box, my bill keeping the sun out of my eyes, the taste of sunflower seeds on the tip of my tongue, gripping the bat, knuckles lined up in order to get the perfect swing. I hear the crowd, but that sound goes blank. I focus. I meditate. Here is where I find my peace.
John M

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 05:05:44 AM »

right on! this is great stuff!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: