Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

March 24, 2019, 09:44:09 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Umbrella  (Read 109 times)
John M

View Profile
« on: January 05, 2019, 12:06:22 AM »

droplets of water explode off the concrete and splash onto my shoes, my new shoes, just this morning pulled from the box, a gift from the girl, she's gonna turn red and hot if she sees what this soggy weather is doing to them, the laces are barely broken in, oh well, they're made for walking after all, even if they cost an arm and leg, the functionality remains, the aesthetics not so much, down the stoop from my apartment door, i trek down the sidewalk of this city street, cars are driving slow, the water sloshing all around the tires as they roll down the road, colliding with puddles, water with nowhere to go, the street drainage is clogged, the roads turn to white-water rapids up ahead, cars don't slow down much for that, they want to swim through as quickly as possible, they don't want the engine to slip and stall, pedestrians with umbrellas overhead, they aren't safe from the tidal waves of sideways splash coming from the street, some walk in fancy business clothes, what were once shiny black shoes and clean, dry, tailored jackets, now just a bunch of stinky moist rags, something ratty you might pull out of a street gutter, too bad, the skyline looks sad with the grey backdrop of the sky behind them, i can't see the tops of the skyscrapers through the dense fog chilling out about sixty floors up, the windows just disappear into grey nothingness, i wonder what the world looks like from up there, i like to think if you go high enough, that the sun shines brightly in a big blue sky, as it would flying high above the clouds in an airplane from boston to los angeles, where the weather is always clear, turbulence is low, with far reaching mountain ranges stretched out miles below...
leowriter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:47:59 PM »

Loved the action in "droplets of water explode off the concrete" ... and the poetics/metaphor side of "water with nowhere to go" left me in reflection mode haha...
Awesome!
L
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: