Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

July 24, 2019, 03:35:17 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bologna  (Read 139 times)
fireystarter

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2019, 12:52:25 PM »

Friday night, the air is heavy, weighed down by the heat of the day, so close to dissipating, taking a sharp turn and evaporating off the cement, but it's still before 9 on an Oklahoma night in June, so the the heat lingers longer than anyone wants. We jump in the Mustang, aptly named "black beauty," proudly displaying her moniker on her license plate. We didn't choose that tag, but we leave it as a reminder of my Grannie who owned her before us. She barely put 5,000 miles on her, so even though she's not a young stallion anymore she still starts up with a bang, like she's ready to run free across the plains. And even though it's Oklahoma with plains a plenty, we take her less than a block down to the Knotty Pig. Parking lot's crowded with off-duty cops and plenty of grizzly, overweight men and their bare faced wives with unkempt, greasy hair. I catch the eye of one of the women, and sh looks at me with too much familiarity, like she used to be like me but we all let ourselves go at some point. I...
marksy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 02:18:00 AM »

Really liked the metaphor of the Mustang that's "ready to run free across the plains". Also referring to the Mustang as "not a young stallion". Both very clever! Great job!
Dorian Black

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 05:42:43 AM »

I liked the Granny touch, it adds so much warmth to the story.
I just wouldn't be the same if it was just an old car you owned.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: