Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

April 21, 2019, 12:29:53 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bologna  (Read 38 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: April 15, 2019, 09:58:54 PM »

The taste of red wine and tomato erupts on my tongue pleasantly salted with parmesan. It feels like a warm fire thawing my toes after a long day in the snow. Everything melts and conversation stops, tired bodies gratefully shoveling spaghetti into the gully on their facial landscapes. Metal forks clink against porcelain bowls and plates all with mismatched designs, paired with mismatched glasses. We are dressed for the occasion in track pants, ugg boots and thermal shirts, hair flattened to heads from hours under a beanie. Rudolph noses point at each other and light sniffles appear, drawn forth by the steam rising from the meal. The bodies surrounding me seem to echo my exhaustion, sagged shoulders and lazy eyes, doubled over their plates with only one goal - sustenance. The aching muscles grown to each other, vying for first in a losers battle, we're all in pain. A voice...

Hilarious, I thought Bologna was a pasta sauce not dissimilar to Bolognese and have only just discovered it's not.
fireystarter

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 12:55:33 PM »

haha I love that you thought this was a pasta sauce and you went with it. your descriptions are so vivid - love the "Rudolph red" noses and the echoes of your own exhaustion in the body language of those around you. you put me firmly in the scene.
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 10:15:20 PM »

Haha, you gotta do, what you gotta do! I'm glad I didn't look up Bologna before I wrote. I wouldn't have known where to start and probably would have ended up at Paella.

Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed putting Rudolph red noses into the story!
marksy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2019, 01:58:20 AM »

This is really great Eloise! I loved the metaphor -" gully and facial landscapes". It certainly leads the mind to consider the varying features of each individual person and brought me into the room with my family and friends, in my minds eye!

I think you might enjoy my version of Bologna - I used the city, as we don't have 'Bologna' sausages here in Australia. I only found out what they were AFTER I wrote mine too! Haha.

Sam
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:03:05 AM by marksy » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: