Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 18, 2019, 09:55:37 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ski Lift  (Read 169 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: May 14, 2019, 02:27:50 PM »

My fingers turned numb forgetting their warmth as quickly as my descent down the mountain. I squeezed my stiff fingers tighter around the ski poles knowing full well that if they drop I'm the one who has to retrieve them. We sit in comfortable silence hiding our faces in scarves and neck warmers as our skis absently knock against each other quickly turning into a playful challenge to dislodge the others skis. The day has been rare. Not rare like finding a rainbow's gold but like winning a radio competition. Blue skies that could so easily melt Australian snow felt further away as the gentle sun allowed cooler breezes to sift through the terrain strengthening its icy hold on the season. What's more, the snowfall last night coated the blues, greens and blacks with a welcome layer of thick, soft, powdery, marshmellow snow. Every fall was a gentle catch like a ball pit at an indoor playground. We threw ourselves around like children unsupervised filling every unknown hole in our suits with snow which melted with our sweat and soaked our toes. Our ribs were sore with laughter and daredevil stunts. Jelly legs begged us to go home, threatening tomorrows mobility as a sacrifice for our disobedience. We had barely stopped for lunch savouring instead the dreamful delights of a warm dinner on a snowy night. A silver moonlit walk to the local...

Sorry I haven't be commenting. Long, long days are turning my brain to melted, stringy cheese. I'm using all my energy to keep up with the daily writing and I'm actually impressed with what a battered mind is achieving right now. I miss reading all your stories. There will be a lot of catch-up to play.
mattvs86

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 05:47:27 PM »

Welcome back.  I liked your last 3-4 sentences, I think you really ratcheted up the descriptions. 
marksy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:36:05 AM »

The last few sentences were great, tapping into the sensory feelings. Which area of Aus did you ski? My 'local' has always been the Snowy Mountains.
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 10:47:04 AM »

Thanks for the comments matt and marsky.

Marsky: I've skiied at Perisher, Blue Cow, Falls and Buller. The last couple of times it's been at Buller. I've always got a soft spot for snow!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: