Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 15, 2019, 01:52:13 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unicycle  (Read 86 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »

Outside the diner windows, you can see a guy on his unicycle going back and forth. Good balance, makes it look easy. I remember a time my dad found a unicycle abandoned at the creek out back and we spent a day in the driveway trying to stay upright. It was hot out, and we traded the unicycle for the basketball intermittently while our neighbor cheered us on from her window. I remember her gentle eyes and sweet good-natured smile. She genuinely loved us, like an adopted grandmother.
   The guy at the diner could do this every day. This is his life. I imagine it: waking up in a small apartment, decorated with posters and knick-knacks that a college kid might have, popping on a clean shirt and shorts, maybe making a pbj for later. Then grabbing the unicycle to the best spot in town. This guy might spend hours here, just for his own entertainment and ours. We are just side characters in his story, witnesses to a blip on the radar. I tear off a piece of toast with my teeth, chew while deciding that this is where I want to live for the rest of my life. In a city where itís okay to choose a hobby as bizarre and absurd as unicycling. Maybe Iíll learn to juggle, I think as I juggle home fries on my fork. Maybe Iíll learn to juggle something thatís on fire, or bowling balls. They say you can do anything if you put your mind to itÖ
   I feel a chill from the A/C. I look at the patterns the shadows make on the sidewalk outside. I want to lay out there, under the trees, where I can just be. Thatís what you inspire in me.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: