Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

July 22, 2019, 08:49:12 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Balance Beam  (Read 53 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2019, 10:17:51 AM »

The skirt of a school uniform brushed my legs as I hopped along the stone barricade surrounding the outdoor assembly area which I now realize was quite small in comparison to most schools. I recall the red brick paving littered with twigs and dead gum leaves fallen from the surrounding trees providing shade to the same area. They towered like ancient soldiers on watch as young children repeated games played last lunch hour, picking up unfinished challenges on the handball court or a scurry of feet in a game of tag. Even in Summer I remember the lunch break being cool and breezy. I would walk across those rocks, a retaining wall that matched the terrain. The feeling of keeping your balance on an uneven surface, incorporating it into a game of chase to show off and feel wild, dangerous. When it was just me I listened, the cries of excited kids squealing as their friend chased them into a tight corner, the chorus of shouts egging on a game of soccer on the bitumen court, the unity of rustling leaves playing with their voices, even the soft sounds of traffic from the nearby road. It was almost serenity being so quiet in such a...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: