Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 22, 2019, 08:11:36 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chapstick  (Read 81 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »

Five days and counting without my chapstick. It feels like I've stranded my lips in the middle of the desert, their skin desperately dry splitting with a gentle stretch of the skin as white flakes peel slowly away having given up any hope of survival. The desert feels vast and uninhabitable except for those robust creatures whose scaly hides you would kill for if it would offer sanctuary from this heat. A soggy tongue offers temporary relief brushing over the harsh edges with its damp sponge only to have the wind dry it out creating deeper fissures. The chapstick was secure within a pocket but an investigative hand found no existence of it there. A meagre search with desperate eyes bore no oasis either, instead being tricked with glimpses of its edges like a mirage in the midday heat only to disappear as you focus your eyes. Beyond all this was the belief it would show up like a prodigal sun returned from his Eurotrip. These blistered lips need a new salve against the harsh wind and sun. Fortunately suburbia is no desert to shopping centres and no salty winds or sand storms to rust my car. Arriving with all the excitement of a child...
plamb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »

Great job! I was completely lost in the desert, feelings the full effect of scaly creatures, oasis' and all, until I was brought back to my suburban reality!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: