Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

September 20, 2019, 07:07:17 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chap Stick  (Read 117 times)
plamb

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2019, 04:41:23 PM »

Even the tallest pines are covered by a blanket of fluffy snow in this white washed world. The absolute silence brings out the tinnitus in my ears. It's hard to place where it comes from but it feels like it's located somewhere above my right earlobe. I hear the crusted snow layer crunch underfoot like brittle rice crackers beneath the peanut butter brown of my snow shoes. A single vein pulsates in forehead above my right eye. It brings me back from a winter sleep. So inviting, fingers curled, "why don't you just lie down for a moment on this cloud like bed of snow"? I feel like i'm dragging myself through an invisible cream as I force myself forward. One step after another. It's tempting to look back at the trail of tracks that I have left in my wake, to marvel at how far I've come. I still have miles to go. The northern sun is glued to a crisp, blue endless sky. I look ahead and squint as the sun is reflected off the mirror of snow. Everything feels so far away, even the growing hunger in my rumbling stomach. I come here for the solitude, the tranquility of a silent world. I hear echoes of yesterdays conflicts, tomorrows desires bouncing around the peaks and valleys in my head. I lick my desert dry lips and touch my cracked, wind swept skin with numb fingertips.
Fletcher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 03:36:18 PM »

"I hear the crusted snow layer crunch underfoot like brittle rice crackers beneath the peanut butter brown of my snow shoes. A single vein pulsates in forehead above my right eye. "

These lines have me walking in snow right beside you.  Fantastic description!
plamb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 03:43:08 PM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: