Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 13, 2019, 10:46:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: String  (Read 164 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2019, 11:46:38 AM »

Tucked away in a small off-white drawer that smells of the uncovered chipboard which makes up its sides, a drawer that has seen many faces but even more inanimate objects despite the darkness. This particular object sits amongst an eclectic collection, take-away menus, batteries, pocket-sized boxes of painkillers, gastro stop, antihistamines, 3M hooks awaiting use and a fresh backing, stray rubber bands and key shaped bottle openers. Raveled tightly around a plastic loom sits a couple of metres of white string using its own weight to keep it tied at the loose end. Purchased once in a fit of DIY elation and used perhaps twice to sew buttons back on to a wily jacket that refused to be confused by such simple locking mechanisms, that was until it was repaired and ran out of buttons to spit off. The stark white sits in its drawer of miscellaneous household goods somehow luminescent because of its bluey-white hue. I wonder if the drawer speaks to its objects, asks them of the world outside its chipboard confines. They only see a little more but piece by piece the drawer could learn he resides amongst other drawers and cupboard, sitting together within a room surrounded by other rooms of different uses all beneath a corrugated iron roof to form a house, as if he would even know what the word meant. Beyond that he may learn of...

So, I had to Google "raveled" and have discovered it's meaning is very similar to unraveled which has caused miniature rage in me because that doesn't make sense to my mind. More research required... My intention was to find something other than 'tightly wound'.
Higgs88

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:58:20 PM »

So, I had to Google "raveled" and have discovered it's meaning is very similar to unraveled which has caused miniature rage in me because that doesn't make sense to my mind. More research required... My intention was to find something other than 'tightly wound'.

lol "miniature rage" would make a great band name. Also I didn't know that either about ravel. "pulled" or "looped" might've worked also

Anyway nice work
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 10:22:40 AM »

Haha, that would be great if they were folk music with passive aggressive stories.

I've just realised I meant "spool" and not "loom" man, my head was behind on this one. It's hard when the word loom is stuck in your head...

Thanks Higgs!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: