Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 13, 2019, 10:46:29 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brace  (Read 154 times)
Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2019, 10:31:58 AM »

Wet, slick rocks, worn down by generations of bare feet pattering up the natural staircase. There are crevices for handholds worn smooth where the path nervous enough to remind you of your own mortality. The air is light here, lifted by the falling water cutting away at the dense humid air filing the rest of the rainforest. The sound of the water tumbling into the creek below washes with the casual conversations of adults as children laugh, splashing each other with the cool water. As I make my way up the rocky staircase I can feel the slick moss trying to trip me up but the grit of stone catches my toes and holds each step in place. I can hear a heart pounding in each ear as the water below drops away and shadows plummet past from even higher, free falling into the deep pool at the base of the rocky wall. Here I am, following a line that's slowly dwindling as the shadows flying past increase in numbers. My palms would be sweaty if they weren't slick from the climb up with chunks of moss hiding beneath my fingernails. I blink and the kid in front of me has gone. A tidal wave pounds at my ribs as my breath sits in my throat. I can hear nothing but the falling water crashing into itself and brace for impact.

I was so happy with this one although I'm sure there's something I'll change tomorrow, the next day and forever. Now I just want to go on a bush walk and dive into a cool pool of water.
plamb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 07:00:10 PM »

As an outdoors enthusiast I loved this story. I can picture the scene in my mind exactly and your words took me right there.

Eloisenm

Singer and songwriter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:19:32 PM »

Thanks Plamb!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: