Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

November 13, 2019, 10:44:39 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Brace  (Read 91 times)
plamb

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2019, 07:23:01 PM »

The sun is streaming in through my window. My room is swimming in watery light. I scrape away the barnacles of a long night from my puffy eye lids and assess my situation. I thought I threw an anchor down before bedtime but I must have forgotten. I'm floating on a current and I'm not sure where I'm heading. The uncertainty feels like a fever. I push myself up and feel the cool wooden slates of the bed board on my back. I check the mast of my being, unfurl my sails, brace myself for the tides of the day and push off with a start. The bed groans as it is suddenly free from my weight. My feet are tickled by the soft algae like carpet as I walk to the kitchen. The carpet gives way to linoleum as as suddenly as shoreline drops to ocean bed. My face is hit by a refreshing wave of cool air as I open the fridge. I reach for the carton of milk and pour some in a bowl. I grab the soft cardboard box of cap'n crunch and like a army of miniature marines they flood into the bowl. 5 measured steps and I'm on the navy blue couch in the living room. I stare at the schools of fish outside my window. Angry, determined, leisurely, they are all going somewhere it seems. Contemplating...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: