Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 22, 2019, 03:10:24 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Post-it  (Read 29 times)
daflem

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2019, 04:53:15 PM »

I reach behind my desk, the one in the corner with the screws just loose enough that you would think we had mice. A student asks to grab a book from the downstairs library, and I agree, but canít find the pass. I look at the assortment of colors to choose from - hot pink, deep blue, highlighter yellow, and lime green. I grab the BIC pen off my right ear and bring the pen to the post-it, my hand on autopilot as I write the pass and talk to my student.

Later, I use these to design my class. We brainstorm - any idea goes. Post-its are crucial for this stage in design thinking. Get outside the box. Letís have a chocolate fountain in the middle of the classroom, our tongues lapping up the melted fondue, Augustus Gloop style. Letís have a brick oven so we can bake take and bakes from Mod Pizza. The ideas build and get crazier, so that we can start to identify what people want.

Compromises are made. Candy is given out. A microwave is set up in back for top ramen. These ideas are not far from the dreams we have.

I too have my own design process. Sticky. Adhesive. A disorganized journal for all my thoughts, ideas, and dreams that I will someday accomplish. Unless they accidentally get thrown away with the junk mail I receive on Mondays. I try and shoot for the moon so if I miss I can land among the stars. My comments, my dreams, my quotes are cornier than the popcorn we cooked in the microwave the other day, but the arrogance of my quotes and the humility to admit they are corny is an important step in the arrogant humility we must have.

My post-it collection allows me to think about what could be possible.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: