Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 22, 2019, 02:54:09 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cathedral  (Read 21 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: August 11, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

We step off the subway and walk through some underground halls plastered with advertisements in French. All these faces that watch us as we walk, are they celebrities here? Weíre bundled up in our hats and coats and feel chilly air as we ascend the stairs. Here there are cafes everywhere and other various shops lining the narrow roads. We can see the cathedral up on the hill, recognizable from any film ever made in Paris. We had thought about walking here. Yesterday, we walked to the Eiffel Tower. Our legs are so tense and sore today, which inspired us to learn the rather easy subway system.
   Still, there is a small walk to go. Itís cold, but not as cold as home. We decide itís worth grabbing an espresso, so we hop into one of the nice looking cafes sit at a table. Not many others are here, just English speaking waiters who seem to be freshening the place up. It smells so good inside; we have to order a chocolate croissant.
   The problem with espresso is they cost 5 Euros and they disappear way too quickly. It pushes us to our destination. Up an outdoor stairway and here we are. Thereís an old man cleaning the street. There are other sleepy looking tourists, but none that we can recognize as American.
   Like all European cathedrals Iíve been to, this one is stunning on the inside, with vast ceiling murals depicting some Biblical scene that is foreign to my agnostic upbringing. The echo is incredible. I marvel at my footsteps and think about the sound of an organ in here. We walk around for a few more minutes. Then we head out for the next masterpiece.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: