Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

August 22, 2019, 02:52:57 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cape Cod  (Read 31 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: August 12, 2019, 12:55:24 PM »

Itís written on many peopleís sweatshirts. ďCape Cod.Ē I donít really understand the urge to buy souvenir clothing from the places you go. I mean, it looks pretty tacky. And yet, much of my wardrobe bears the name of some tourist destination that my parents have gone to. And I wear it, because thereís nothing else to wear.
   Thereís a culture, and my parents fit right into it, where you are expected to buy gifts when you are on vacation. Thus, everyone in this country who has relatives who travel now has a bunch of useless (if not pretty) stuff that they donít need or want.
   I have a hat from Peru. Itís very colorful and interesting. It is not, however, particularly warm. Not warm enough for the mountain winters up here. I tried wearing it a few times, but found that the wind went right through the ear flaps. Eventually I realized the tip of the hat stood straight up, making me look like a gnome. The hat found a sad dark corner of my closet and has been living there ever since.
   I lived in a town, the name of which was plastered on to all sorts of souvenir items as well. The air was cold, but the landscapes were beautiful. Downtown was a charming little village, until you realized that thereís nothing to do but eat and drink. Well, what else is there anyway?
   I lived in a town that smelled of artificial pine trees, despite the fact that it was surrounded by real live pine trees. I lived in a town where the air tasted of salt and ice. I worked hard to find myself there, in the midst of the phony bologna tourist seasons. I found a novelty sweatshirt.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: