Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

September 20, 2019, 06:36:24 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calendar  (Read 52 times)
berkley84

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »

Before I leave the shop, Rick hands me a calendar with classic cars. Not my cup of tea exactly, but I like free things so I take it. Rickís hands are greasy from his dayís work. I feel a little judgment, for even being able to be here on a Wednesday morning, as I am clearly just taking a day off because I feel like it. I donít feel the shame of relaxation like so many Americans seem to. And before I leave, I reflect that I could never work in a place that smells like this. It also seems physically draining, and Rick is past his prime years.
   I hang the calendar above my computer. It occurs to me just how fast all of this will become obsolete. Thereís still a calendar from 1984 hanging in my parentsí basement with my due date marked with a sharpie. Thereís a Bills calendar from 1994 hanging on the stairway with all the old players in their glory days. I used to keep New Yorker day calendars on my desk and felt guilty about throwing each cartoon away.
   I want my calendars to be more like a time machine. I want to tap my brain and disappear into some far away day where all I was doing was working and going home to read books and play guitar. Something simple. Some times, today feels like itís too much. Itís not working in a dank little garage with a radio playing the same classic rock songs day in and day out. Itís having too much control over my days. I want someone else to just tell me what to do.
MRL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 09:07:22 PM »

I really like this. Could easily be the first page of a book.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 05:53:07 PM by MRL » Logged
Russ100

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:10:14 PM »

Agreed,
Well done. Very Identifiable
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: