Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

September 20, 2019, 06:34:21 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Umbrella  (Read 25 times)
Itsjamiejones

View Profile
« on: September 11, 2019, 06:48:34 AM »

Another gloomy grey day in the city. Puddles forming on busy narrow over populated streets during 8.30am rush hour. Car horns sound with an overweight taxi driver opening his window yellow “come on mate, move!” Yelling to a truck that has blocked the road while making a delivery to the cafe which fills the street with its scent of freshly brewed coffee, warm bread, bacon and eggs. I’ve walked down this paved street hundreds of times but today I have to learn a new way to negotiate its path as puddles dictate the journey pedestrians are taking. As it begins to spit light rain, the street offers no protection from the gloomy miserable faced sky above so within a milli second, hand held umbrellas go up like 100 sling shots all being activated at once. A sea of umbrellas across the narrow street and all along as far as the eye can see. As they ascend and promise to keep us sheltered from hair destroying drops, we swerve and we move our heads and necks in a finely tuned rehearsed wave to escape eye prodding from the spikes of passing umbrellas. Umbrellas sit at different heights bobbing up and down like buoys in the sea but the occasional spike halts my gait resulting in side steps.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: