Author Topic: Tube  (Read 40 times)

berkley84

• View Profile
Tube
« on: January 11, 2020, 11:25:40 AM »
   Itís hard not to think about where we are going while we step carefully through the tube lit by smartphone flashlights. I follow you, trying not to trip on the curved ground, and watching my head for hanging wires and crossbars. Try to enjoy the adventure of the journey, I tell myself, but truthfully Iím uncomfortable, tired, trying not to breathe in the smell of industrial waste. Iím sick of the loud saws and hammering going on outside. I crave a solitary violin or a trumpet practicing scales or a piano hammering away at some twisted Schoenberg piece.  But inside the tube is a silence I find refreshing. Itís just your footsteps and mine. No oneís trying to make conversation about lifeís trivialities. No oneís asking me about the weather. Iím alone with my thoughts, and you, but you donít seem to need to say much. Weíre in good company, I suppose.
   We find a broken section of the tube, and you lean back with your hands around your head. You curse and thereís a nice reverb on your voice. Youíre missing some crucial teeth and you donít care, the only thing on your mind is getting back home to your family in Michigan, which means getting this job done as soon as possible. You knew that there would be some problems, but each one that comes up will probably cost you a day or two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk