News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Help- I'm stuck.......  (Read 6305 times)
Paul
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« on: August 25, 2008, 06:12:19 PM »

So, you're sitting there thinking, gee there's been no emotionally upheaving event that I need to write about this week, but I do want to write something..... where do I start.

I love the random word generator at coyotecult.com http://coyotecult.com/tools/randomwordgenerator.php. This morning as I set about a new series of musings I asked for 250 random words [ I won't list them], I paired these down to about 10 that seemed to 'resonate' or be of interest.

skyline
rebound
mumbo jumbo
narcotic
lost-and-found
Holy Spirit
rough-and-tumble   
ice age
joker
false alarm

I then asked what could these be a metaphor for? And came up with a few ideas, but then I went to www.dictionary.com and sought definitions for each... the great thing is that this opened up a can of words[not worms!] that I would not otherwise have considered, which in turn can spark ideas for a song. I'm posting the results oin that and if I get a lyric or a soing I'll post here. At the moment I'm leaning toward Mumbo Jumbo or Joker. I hope I can use the word or ideas from the word as a metaphor for a song.

P

skyline

the boundary line between earth and sky; the apparent horizon: A sail appeared against the skyline. 
the outline of something, as the buildings of a city, against the sky: the New York skyline.

–verb (used with object) 3.

to outline (something) against the sky. 
The line along which the surface of the earth and the sky appear to meet; the horizon.
The outline of a group of buildings or a mountain range seen against the sky.
the outline of objects seen against the sky 
the line at which the sky and Earth appear to meet [syn: horizon] 

jagged teeth, unevenness, windows reflecting, humn of air condiitonewrs, aerials and satelite dishes- communication,

rebound

–verb
To cause to rebound.
Basketball To gain possession of (the ball) off the backboard or rim.
spring back; spring away from an impact; "The rubber ball bounced"; "These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide" [syn: bounce] 
return to a former condition; "The jilted lover soon rallied and found new friends"; "The stock market rallied" [syn: rally]
 to bound or spring back from force of impact. 
 to recover, as from ill health or discouragement. 
 Basketball. to gain hold of rebounds: a forward who rebounds well off the offensive
board.
spring back; spring away from an impact; "The rubber ball bounced"; "These particles do not resile but they unite after they collide" [syn: bounce] 
return to a former condition; "The jilted lover soon rallied and found new friends"; "The stock market rallied" [syn: rally]

–verb (used with object)
 to cause to bound back; cast back. 
Basketball. to gain hold of (a rebound): The guard rebounded the ball in backcourt. 
–noun
A springing or bounding back; a recoil.
Sports A rebounding or caroming ball or hockey puck.
Basketball The act or an instance of taking possession of a rebounding ball.
A quick recovery from or reaction to disappointment or depression: He is on the rebound following a tumultuous breakup.

Ice Hockey; a puck that bounces off the gear or person of a goalkeeper attempting to make a save. 
—Idiom9. on the rebound, a. after bouncing off the ground, a wall, etc.: He hit the ball on the rebound. 
b. after being rejected by another: She didn't really love him; she married him on the rebound. 
a movement back from an impact [syn: recoil] 
a reaction to a crisis or setback or frustration; "he is still on the rebound from his wife's death" 
the act of securing possession of the rebounding basketball after a missed shot 
the act of rebounding; recoil. 
Basketball. a. a ball that bounces off the backboard or the rim of the basket. 
b. an instance of gaining hold of such a ball. 

To spring or bounce back after hitting or colliding with something.
To recover, as from depression or disappointment.
To re-echo; resound.
Basketball To retrieve and gain possession of the ball as it bounces off the backboard or rim after an unsuccessful shot.

basketball board, coming back, returning,

mumbo jumbo

. meaningless incantation or ritual. 
 senseless or pretentious language, usually designed to obscure an issue, confuse a listener, or the like. 
an object of superstitious awe or reverence. 
initial capital letters) the guardian of western Sudan villages symbolized by a masked man who combats evil and punishes women for breaches of tribal laws. 
Unintelligible or incomprehensible language; gibberish.
Language or ritualistic activity intended to confuse.
A complicated or obscure ritual.
An object believed to have supernatural powers; a fetish.
Mum"bo Jum"bo\, n. [Perh. fr. the native name of an African god.] Among the Mandingos of the western Sudan, a bugbear by means of which the women are terrified and disciplined by societies of the men, one of whom assumes a masquerade for the purpose; hence, loosely, any Negro idol, fetish, or bugaboo.

a mess up, a distraction

narcotic

–noun
any of a class of substances that blunt the senses, as opium, morphine, belladonna, and alcohol, that in large quantities produce euphoria, stupor, or coma, that when used constantly can cause habituation or addiction, and that are used in medicine to relieve pain, cause sedation, and induce sleep. 
anything that exercises a soothing or numbing effect or influence: Television is a narcotic for many people. 
–adjective
of or having the power to produce narcosis, as a drug. 
pertaining to or of the nature of narcosis. 
of or pertaining to narcotics or their use. 
used by, or in the treatment of, narcotic addicts. 

nar•cot•ic   Audio Help   (när-kot'ik)  Pronunciation Key 
n.   
An addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain.
A soothing, numbing agent or thing: "There was the blessed narcotic of bridge, at the Colony or at the home of friends" (Louis Auchincloss).

adj.   
Inducing sleep or stupor; causing narcosis.
Of or relating to narcotics, their effects, or their use.
Of, relating to, or intended for one addicted to a narcotic.

adjective
of or relating to or designating narcotics; "narcotic addicts"; "narcotic stupor" 
inducing stupor or narcosis; "narcotic drugs" 
inducing mental lethargy; "a narcotic speech" 

noun
a drug that produces numbness or stupor; often taken for pleasure or to reduce pain; extensive use can lead to addiction 

[Middle English narcotik, from Old French narcotique, from Medieval Latin narcoticum, from Greek narkotikon, from neuter of narkotikos, numbing, from narkosis, a numbing; see narcosis.]

lost-and-found

lost and found
–noun a room in a public place for items left behind and from which the owners may retrieve them. 

lost and found or lost-and-found   
A repository in a public place, as in a school or theater, where found items are kept for reclaiming by their owners.

Holy Spirit
[trINITY]

1. the spirit of God. 
2. the presence of God as part of a person's religious experience. 
3. Holy Ghost. 

noun
the third person in the Trinity; Jesus promised the Apostles that he would send the Holy Spirit after his Crucifixion and Resurrection; it came on Pentecost [syn: Holy Ghost] 

In the belief of many Christians, one of the three persons in the one God, along with the Father and the Son (Jesus is the Son); the Holy Spirit is also called the Holy Ghost. Jesus promised the Apostles that he would send the Holy Spirit after his Crucifixion and Resurrection. The Spirit came to the disciples of Jesus on Pentecost.

rough-and-tumble   

–adjective
. characterized by violent, random, disorderly action and struggles: a rough-and-tumble fight; He led an adventuresome, rough-and-tumble life. 

given to such action. 

–noun
rough and unrestrained competition, fighting, struggling, etc.

rough-and-tum•ble   (ruf'?n-tum'b?l)
adj.   Characterized by roughness and disregard for order or rules: rough-and-tumble politics.

n.   A condition marked by rough disorderly struggle; infighting: the rough-and-tumble of national politics.

adjective
characterized by disorderly action and disregard for rules; "a rough-and-tumble fight"; "rough-and-tumble politics"; "undisguised bare-knuckle capitalism" 

noun
disorderly fighting [syn: hassle] 

ice age

ice age   
n.   
A cold period marked by episodes of extensive glaciation alternating with episodes of relative warmth.
Ice Age The most recent glacial period, which occurred during the Pleistocene Epoch.

noun
any period of time during which glaciers covered a large part of the earth's surface; "the most recent ice age was during the Pleistocene" 

joker

–noun
a person who jokes. 
one of two extra playing cards in a pack, usually imprinted with the figure of a jester, used in some games as the highest card or as a wild card. 
U.S. Politics. a clause or expression inserted in a legislative bill with the unavowed object of defeating the ostensible purpose of the bill if passed. 
a seemingly minor, unsuspected clause or wording that is put into an agreement, legal document, etc., to change its effect. 
an unexpected or final fact, factor, or condition that changes or reverses a situation or result completely: He gave her a beautiful diamond engagement ring, but the joker was that it was stolen! 
any method, trick, or expedient for getting the better of another: They pulled a joker on us to get better seats. 
Informal. a man; fellow; chap: That joker is earning twice as much as I am. 
a person who thinks he or she is very funny; prankster: Who's the joker who frosted the cake with shaving cream? 
Informal. a wise guy; wiseacre; smart aleck: Tell that joker to stop using my parking space. 

n.   

One who tells or plays jokes.
An insolent person who seeks to make a show of cleverness.
Informal An annoying or inept person: Some joker is blocking my driveway.
Games A playing card, usually printed with a picture of a jester, used in certain games as the highest-ranking card or as a wild card.
A minor clause in a document such as a legislative bill that voids or changes its original or intended purpose.
An unforeseen but important difficulty, fact, or circumstance.
A deceptive means of getting the better of someone.

noun
a person who enjoys telling or playing jokes 
a person who does something thoughtless or annoying; "some joker is blocking the driveway" 
an inconspicuous clause in a document or bill that affects its meaning in a way that is not immediately apparent; "when I demanded my money he showed me the joker in the contract" 
a playing card that is usually printed with a picture of a jester

Bow"er\ (bou"[~e]r), n. [G. bauer a peasant. So called from the figure sometimes used for the knave in cards. See Boor.] One of the two highest cards in the pack commonly used in the game of euchre.

Right bower, the knave of the trump suit, the highest card (except the "Joker") in the game.

Left bower, the knave of the other suit of the same color as the trump, being the next to the right bower in value.

Best bower or Joker, in some forms of euchre and some other games, an extra card sometimes added to the pack, which takes precedence of all others as the highest card

false alarm [BOY WHO CRIED WOLF?]

–noun
a false report of a fire in progress to a fire department. 
something that excites unfounded alarm or expectation: Rumors of an impending transit strike proved to be a false alarm. 

n.   
An emergency alarm, such as a fire alarm, that is set off unnecessarily.
A signal or warning that is groundless.

noun
a warning that is given about something that fails to occur 

Vis
Paul
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 06:26:39 PM »

Here's my efforts on Joker- don't know where it's going yet.. doesn't seem to have a chorus:

Joker

Playing the joker seems to bring about an unexpected outcome, it can be a calculated move. Sometimes playing the joker you can appear as a fool, but maybe that's so you can implement the method for winning

Draft 1 lyric [no rhyme scheme] based on extracted phrases from destination writing/object writing

He slips into the pack
Like a narcotic
And when you think you've hit blackjack
He shows his funny hat
He knows where things are at
But he's the one- everyone is laughing at

He tries to get your attention
With song and dance creations
In his flimsy two tone clothing
Slipping and shuffling
While everybodies laughing
The ace up his sleeve keeps him humming

Watch out when you make your play
He's waiting, shiny and waxy
Laughing all the way
Leading you astray
Saying "you can't beat me'
Laughing all the way
Don't mess with me

He's the joker

Destination writing 1 on JOKER

The rogue in the pack, colourful dancing with a funny pointy hat with bells on, two tone clothing and pointy cloth shoes, a smile like a clown, the jester humming about the  crowd like a busy bumble bee, pollinating ears with music and song, getting attention, hey look at me notice me. Joker on cards, cards are shiny and slippery when new, waxy, he slips into the pack with his twin and waits for an opportune moment to spring and seeks the play, some older cards are dog eared and rough and the edges are beginning to peel they've seen too many plays and need replacing. The pack of cards , shuffling and slippering them together, the joker in the crowd, usually loud, thinking he's funny, telling inappropriate tales, everybody is laughing at him behind their beer, they wouldn't want to be with him on their own, his endless chatter would nullify like a narcotic,, the joker likes to make fun of you but the laugh in the end is on him? polite card games of euchre , he isn't in a game of blackjack or poker, to clever for him....

He's the king of a game of Euchre
He donlt play blackjack or poker
It's to clever for him

DW 2

I don't want pull the joker or be the joker this time, it's that bum card you get every now and then, it just turns your head around, you're on a good run, things are looking good , then he comes smiling out of the pack and puts an end to your run. It's like he's been sittting there the whole time waiting to run things, a little clause in the contract, nothings Iron clad I guess, there's probably a clause in a marriage contatrct somewhere, but I've never gone looking, the joker comes out laughing and mad like in the batman movies, jokers wild, they do go wild. There's always the buffoon in any crowd isn’t there? The joker, who can never take things entirely seriously, making jokes and fun of everyone else, with a laconic world view, easy going laid back, the smiling assassin, literally, I wonder when life's going to throw me another joker, what might it be this time, illness injury poverty, a death, just gotta keep putting those cards down on the table and hoping they'll come up right, keep playing the game, Knowing that at some time the joker's gonna be dealt, deal with it when it's time, don't think about what might be coming, but be prepared, you know it's there waiting to make an appearance waiitng to make & take it's chance. The joker don’t have time for romance, just deals out circumstance, he plays his little games with your mind, keeping you on the edge of your seat, waiting for you to beat a retereat, but he can be defeated if you believe, there's no web that he can weave that you can't be delivered from, action action action, that's where you've got to be coming from to beat the cheat, don't let him cheat you out of what you deserve.

INTERNAL PHRASES
the whole time
this time,
at some time
when it's time,
plays his little games
make an appearance

can't be delivered from,
action action action,
got to be coming from

wonder when
every now and then,

but be prepared,
you know it's there

take things entirely seriously,
what might it be

what might be coming,
waiting to run things
easy going
don't think
with your mind,

beat the cheat,
can be defeated
 if you believe,
can weave

take it's chance.
don’t have time for romance,
deals out circumstance

beat a retereat,
cheat you out of what you deserve

there's no web

laconic world view,
laid back,
life's going to throw
hoping they'll come up right
this time,
deal with it
rogue in the pack
nullify like a narcotic

getting attention,
on their own
with his twin
needs replacing.
laugh  is on him
wouldn't want to be with him

hey look at me
notice me.
seek the play
thinking he's funny,
 too many plays

opportune moment

inappropriate tales

moment to spring
rough around the edges
usually loud,
make fun of you

in the end
EXTERNAL PHRASES
keep playing the game,
never gone looking,
smiling assassin
comes smiling

to your run
always the buffoon
on a good run,
making jokes and fun

The joker,
pull the joker
be the joker
sittting there

batman movies,
illness poverty, injury

[nothing's] Iron clad
in any crowd
turns your head around,
laughing and mad

edge of your seat,

marriage contract
out of the pack
clause in the contract
the joker's gonna be dealt,
on the edge
a death,

bum card
jokers wild

on the table
another joker
putting those cards down
joker comes out
things are looking good
probably a clause

funny pointy hat
slips into the pack
everyone laughing at 
endless chatter
game of blackjack

colourful dancing
hat with bells on,
two tone clothing
with bells on
jester humming
slippering and shuffling 
everybody is laughing

two tone
smile like a clown,
music and song,

busy bumble bee,
cards are shiny
shiny and slippery
new and waxy,

pointy cloth shoes
cloth shoes,
older cards
pack of cards ,

dog eared
joker in the crowd

beginning to peel
behind their beer
polite card games
pollinating ears

Vis
afrono

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 09:59:23 AM »

...Stuck. Try goble-de-gook (bad spelling?)
Niokagirl

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:43:31 PM »

Thanks for this post...It was just what I needed to read about: the process when I'm stuck. Thank you Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: