News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: General approach question - object writing  (Read 2725 times)
squozey

View Profile
« on: February 27, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »

Hello,

I am quite new to object writing. I just started the Pat Pattison "Songwriting w/o Boundaries".
I like the idea of the keywords being provided and having a strong format to follow.

My experience with writing exercises has been some flirtations with "Morning Pages" from Artist's Way
as well as "timed writing" as in journaling. Ive done object writing now about 6-7 times and first off
i am stunned by the examples in the book. I realize good things come with practice...

.. should my approach be to wait and try to develop each line slowly or should i not pre think too much and
just write whatever comes to mind? Some of the lines Ive read from others seem to indicate taking time
prior to writing in order to present something coherent and well developed.

So far my approach is not much more than stream of consciousness surrounding a topic - quickly grabbing
a sense description here and there - but thinking I need to "keep writing" at all times. Is this wrong?
Will it evolve to the slower, more thoughtful responses? Should I slow the "" down right immediately?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Andrew
Speechless

Songwriting course 1st March 2013

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 01:15:16 AM »

Hello Andrew, I too an new to object writing (about 2 weeks in my case).

From Pat Pattison's book I get the impression that for the object writing exercises there is a time limit so there isn't much time for hanging about. When he gets to some of the example songs he does give us different versions and clearly what were his or the songwriter's first thoughts were, they have been improved with plenty of thought.

I don't think I am alone on finding that I cannot be at my creative best simply because the timer is running; I need time, often days, for the right word or phrase to come to me.

It will be interesting to see what and how others think. Thanks for raising the question.
squozey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 06:21:36 PM »

Any help is appreciated here.

Speechless - thanks for the response - definately just talking about the object exercises.
I saw one result with about 4 lines for a 5 minute timed exercise. So it seems that person is
taking plenty of time to gather his/her thoughts and present as sensory an experience as possible.
It seems less is more there..

still confused and still doing my "journaling" version of these exercises

Andrew
squozey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 09:55:25 PM »

anyway - I emailed Pat - he was kind enough
to respond. he said pauses are fine - its not non stop
writing but not to 'craft" a response..

i still need to slow down - I get alot more than 4 lines
for a 5 minute exercise - the OW examples in the book are
often quite short