News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Challenge 1 from Song Writing without Boundaries need a group  (Read 4470 times)
DynamicBread

Mind of a Legend

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:52 PM »

Im begin to start my first Challenge in the book ,And am wondering how i get a group together to help me out on what i need to do so where i can get the most out of this book i have also writing better lyrics i got  all the books pat patterson has made for the master in song writing which i want but don't have 12000 to take the course so i figured i would get the books and start there could anyone please guide me im begin my first object writing in the morning first thing when i wake up and i need a motivational group to help me My Facebook page u can search Rich F.Bartlett send me a friend request Im real serous about learning to dive deep in myself and pull out those emotions all those feelings that only at times im able to explain.I wanna learn how to tap into that right off the bat so if any would like to start a group please message me or find me on face book i need help and friends who love writing as much as i do cause right now i have none who love the thing i love the most to do so i find myself not doing it.which gets to me and now im doing something about it.please let me know
DynamicBread

Mind of a Legend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 04:50:57 PM »

Well i guess this isn't as helpful as i was hoping Angry
bruce

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 05:22:38 AM »

Hey Rich
Don't take it personal.  I'd be interested in a group but don't feel I'm ready yet.  My plan is to do this for 6 weeks (until Nov 1.) and then look to branch out.  I'm also a P.P. fan and have the books.  Did you take the MOOC on songwriting that was offered through Coursera?  It may still be up there. That was an excellent intro.  I suspect that's how some of the folks active on this site now got here.
Thanks
bruce
kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »

Hey y'all. I see you on your writing passion. I too have enjoyed his class (in Coursera) and have notebooks divided as well as a folder full of song ideas. Are you Christian? Your name seems to suggest it. IF so there is a writing site that also does peer to peer critique for Christian writers. Another is Just plain folk message boards where you can upload music and videos to share. Anyway. Aside from this site, I only have the Writing Better Lyrics with the Thesaurus and Rhyming Dict. he suggested. I guess you could share  the assignment from the book and we could work them together by email or start a discussion here on this site and see if anyone else joins us. . What do you think?  
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:44:56 AM by kstjohn0719 » Logged

:>
bruce

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 05:06:48 AM »

Hi
A discussion group on this site would be easy to do.  As far as the challenges set out in the book, the first 2 weeks are pretty much the same as the exercises here.   They breakdown into 5 days of "what" writing and then 3 days each of who, when and where writing.  The challenges breakdown into 5 minute, 10 minute and 90 second exercises.  It's pretty much the same stuff described in the course and in the Writing Better Lyrics book.  The rest of the challenges include metaphors and rhyming.  Again, it's all stuff explained in the course and WBL. 

My plan is to do the object writing for October.  When I look back at the stuff I've done here, it is mostly from the "who" perspective.  I need to make my descriptions less cliched.  Be interested in your thoughts.

Thanks
Bruce
kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 08:13:25 AM »

I will have to consult my book again WBL. I remember seeing something about that. If you want to start it off; maybe give everyone an invitation; Who or What the amount of time in your heading and we log in and complete the exercise.

kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »

So, would I then put in (Key of Moon)
Adj --blood orange
Noun --perch
Verb---gaze

And then someone else comes up with different words in the same categories?

bruce

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 12:18:44 PM »

John / Noobs / Rich

These exercises would probably work best if that participants were all on-line at roughly the same time.  PP seems to think people actually gather together physically to do the writing exercises.  I'm guessing from the timestamps on these posts that we're not all in the same place?  If you want to try a small group exercise, I'm game.  What do you think?

Thanks
Bruce
bruce

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 07:55:49 AM »

Hi Mark

Thanks for your reply.  Interesting thoughts.  I suspect it would probably work both ways.  I'm about Pat's age and have been working on the internet since before it was the internet and agree that forums and chats have, in some instances, come a long way since the days of 300 baud dial up modems.  Back then chatting on line was about the same speed as Morse code.  In most applications, the shortwave "key jocks" were actually faster. But I digress.....

I think some form of group online chat would be interesting for the immediacy and interactions possible.  And of course it would be preserved for others to see.

Best
Bruce
kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:36:30 AM »

I remember the old dial up. It took ages to do anything on line and then it was all text. LOL That kinda tells everyone how old we are. Tongue

kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:48 AM »

We could start with one day a week where everyone posts by like 5pm that day and then goes back after that to see what others did, replying to their ideas? Like the coursera class.

bruce

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:03 AM »

That sounds good.  I think Mark set out a good structure in his post and we can follow his guidance.  Do you want to pick a day to start? I'm currently in the eastern U.S.
Thanks
kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 12:18:25 PM »

I suddenly have a lot of stuff on my plate for this Sunday. Can we do Mondays?

kstjohn0719

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:31 PM »

The 80s? Holding on to 29? LOL I  am no spring chicken either.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:21:22 PM by kstjohn0719 » Logged

bruce

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 06:29:39 AM »

I'm good for Mondays.  Mark, thanks for taking the lead on this.

Bruce
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: