Object Writing, Prose & Poetry Forum

June 26, 2019, 02:30:58 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
This week's words;

Sunday - Instructions

Monday- Motorcycle

Tuesday- Wildflower

Wednesday- Asparagus

Thursday- Stopwatch

Friday - Confetti

Saturday-Homesick

Word of the Day
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Celery  (Read 982 times)
anand2112

View Profile
« on: October 31, 2013, 11:15:34 AM »

Thin but strong fibers happily lodge themselves between my teeth, stringing through and reluctantly letting themselves get dragged out as I slowly yank on the remainder of the celery stick. The air still echoes with the light but strong and elongated CRRUUNNCCHHH from just moments before. Sweet-bitter juice trickles throughout the confines of my intensely working mouth, muscles beginning to ache and show signs of fatigue. Swirling daydreams of good health propels me through the seemingly disproportionate effort required to absorb this nutrition. While still working on this one, I watch my hand dive toward the platter to grab yet another stick and swipe it through the generous dip bowl. Children's laughter echoes from the left, I look over and see the aftermath of another goal scored in the backyard birthday party soccer game. My eyes are pulled toward a small boy of about five, dressed in plaid shirt and jeans stained from eating pizza from Aljon's a mile or two away, kicking the ball across the yard. He beams a big smile, it's his birthday after all and all his friends are here to celebrate. The boy I see is me, at my fifth birthday so many years ago. Now nearing 40, birthday parties have never been the same since.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: