News: TO POST YOUR WORK CLICK THE 'OBJECT WRITING' TAB AND SELECT 'NEW TOPIC'
or 'REPLY'" AND ADD YOUR WRITING TO AN EXISTING TOPIC.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Friend  (Read 12341 times)
Mott

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2013, 12:31:56 PM »

Hi friends,

I wanted to write a song with the theme of appreciation for a friend.  Anyone game to generate some metaphors in the key of "Friend"?

I'll make a noun list here, in the key of "Friend".

The first person to reply to this thread, please submit a verb list.

Subsequent respondents, please combine a noun and a verb from the lists to create a metaphor and write a sentence or short paragraph to go along with.

(e.g. from PP's book, given "squirrel" and "preaches", you could write something like "The red squirrel scrambled onto the branch, rose to his haunches and began preaching to us, apparently cautioning us to respect the silence of his woodlands.")

So, in the key of "friend", here's my noun list:
HANDSHAKE
GAME
CONVERSATION
SMILE
MENTOR
EricH917

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »

glorify
hug
love
please
quench
EricH917

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

When filled with rage, I found that these well-played games quenched my competitive desires to obliterate the outside world.
Mott

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 08:13:06 PM »

Thanks EricH917!

So to recap, here are the lists:
NounsVerbs
HANDSHAKEGLORIFY
GAMEHUG
CONVERSATIONLOVE
SMILEPLEASE
MENTORQUENCH

I'll do CONVERSATION and LOVE:
The conversation loved its own life; even after the cards were tired and went to sleep in piles on the table, it came alive, it grew, energized by the gravitational pull of the moon and of the clear incandescent chandelier lights.  It explored unknown secrets and solved problems until, at sunrise, weary and yet at peace, having come to terms with the nature of its existence and the breadth of its accomplishments, it passed on.
Alihari

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 05:12:56 PM »

I will do handshake and quench. I realize this post is older but... I was older, he was older too. I hadn't seen him in 25 years. My bones and skin felt dried up and tired. But when he came toward me, recognizing me instantly, reaching out to me, his handshake quenched my thirsty old body and at once and our talk was filled with the flowing bubbly champagne of days past. It was like we had never parted. We were young again.
Maggi Nimmo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »

Her smile was a please, a cheesy please, it was unclear what she wanted but she sure was mostly teeth.
joearroyo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2015, 05:55:56 AM »

The game hugged both teams in good sportsmanship and teamwork as every fan in the stadium jumped to their feet in celebration of a great contest!
sailwrites

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 01:05:53 AM »

We glorify the handshake as a token of trust, when in reality, more often than not, it's nothing more than a fake smile with a squeeze of a hand. There are times when it goes a long way, others when it fulfills some component of a long, forgotten but still widely practiced tradition, and lest yet another form of the handshake which inhabits the exchange of complete enemies who are due to one thing or another are forced to play nice, handshakes and salutes galore. Despite all this negativity surrounding one of the most widely recognized form of communication, nothing beats a strong firm hand shake when I meet with a true friend that stood the test of time and still maintains his presence in my life. The tight grip in the sweaty palm followed by an even tighter hug, followed by boom-pssh of the fist-to-fist pound... The handshake. That glorious handshake...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: